Home

Our Federation

Welcome to the website of Polish Women Federation in Edmonton, Branch #3. The Edmonton branch is one of 20 links of Polish Women Federation in Canada with the main seat in Toronto. Federation is part of the world’s women’s movement.

The mission of the organization is to serve Canada, Polish Canadians and Poland. The movement is governed by Christian and democratic values. Ladies from the Federation participate in many charitable activities in Poland and Canada, support and sponsor many organizations and individuals involved in culture, science, and education. Polish Women’s Federation preserves Polish cultural values while integrating into Canadian society.

Polish Canadian Women’s Federation branch # 3 in Edmonton was established in June 1958.  The first two branches were founded in 1956. First in Toronto and the second in London, Ontario. Presently there are 20 branches in Canada. The Edmonton Branch is the largest of all in Canada. The Edmonton Branch came to existence thanks to the efforts of Wanda Buska and Irene Domecki. In the spring of 1958 Jadwiga Dobrucka of Toronto approached Wanda Buska  with the suggestion of forming a branch of the Polish Canadian Women’s Federation in Alberta. Wanda Buska asked Irena Domecki for help in recruiting members for the Federation in Edmonton. After some hesitation, Irene agreed.

Both ladies organized the first meeting, which took place on June 5th, 1958 with 6 women in attendance. Irene Domecki became the first president of the newly established organization. Membership was growing steadily reaching its peak of 100 during Canada’s centennial year. During the last twenty years there have been between 50-70 members of Branch # 3. At the beginning the members were women who had arrived in Canada just after the Second World War, but gradually women from earlier waves of immigration began to join. Our membership has always been diverse and included women who were professionals with academic titles as well as those who were not able to complete their studies or, in some cases, even finish elementary school. In spite of this disparity, members have formed warm relationships and worked well together since the very inception of this exceptional organization. Because of the great variety of activities undertaken by the Federation, each member has always found a project to participate in.

Members of the Polish Women Federation in Edmonton - 2016

Our Goals

  • Cultivating and preserving the Polish traditions while developing ties with the adopted country
  • Concern for the family as a social unit based on Christian ethical and moral values
  • Various charitable activities with a stress on helping needy children
  • Cooperation with other women’s organizations.

Over time, Branch # 3 has joined many Canadian organizations like the Edmonton Local Council of Women, Citizenship Council, The Canadian Red Cross, The Canadian Consumer Association, the Mental Health Association, and the Pro-Life Voice of the Unborn.

The organization is also a member of the Canadian Polish Congress.

Delegates for the General Convention of the Canadian Polish Congress, Calgary, AB, Oct. 7, 2006

History

Welcome to the website of Polish Women Federation in Edmonton- Branch no 3. The Edmonton branch is one of 20 links of Polish Women Federation in Canada with the main seat in Toronto. Federation is part of the world’s women’s movement.

The mission of the organization is to serve Canada, Polish Canadians and Poland. The movement is governed by Christian and democratic values. Ladies from the Federation participate in many charitable activities in Poland and Canada, support and sponsor many organizations and individuals involved in culture, science, and education. Polish Women’s Federation preserves Polish cultural values while integrating into Canadian society.

Polish Canadian Women’s Federation branch # 3 in Edmonton was established in June 1958.  The first two branches were founded in 1956. First in Toronto and the second in London, Ontario. Presently there are 20 branches in Canada. The Edmonton Branch is the largest of all in Canada. The Edmonton Branch came to existence thanks to the efforts of Wanda Buska and Irene Domecki. In the spring of 1958 Jadwiga Dobrucka of Toronto approached Wanda Buska  with the suggestion of forming a branch of the Polish Canadian Women’s Federation in Alberta. Wanda Buska asked Irena Domecki for help in recruiting members for the Federation in Edmonton. After some hesitation, Irene agreed.
 
Both ladies organized the first meeting, which took place on June 5th, 1958 with 6 women in attendance. Irene Domecki became the first president of the newly established organization. Membership was growing steadily reaching its peak of 100 during Canada’s centennial year. During the last twenty years there have been between 50-70 members of Branch # 3. At the beginning the members were women who had arrived in Canada just after the Second World War, but gradually women from earlier waves of immigration began to join. Our membership has always been diverse and included women who were professionals with academic titles as well as those who were not able to complete their studies or, in some cases, even finish elementary school. In spite of this disparity, members have formed warm relationships and worked well together since the very inception of this exceptional organization. Because of the great variety of activities undertaken by the Federation, each member has always found a project to participate in.

Polish Canadian Women's Federation, Branch #3 Edmonton - 1995

Contact Us

President Halina Madej

(780) 463-2859

Halina1@shaw.ca